I meant to post this earlier… but there was a power outage during the Superbowl. *
Anyhoo… I’m sure a disproportionate number of households prepared game-day feasts that included Velveeta, tortilla chips, wings, and any number of dips that aren’t exactly artery or waistline friendly.
At the Wood house, we’re about to launch a (modified) cleanse, and didn’t feel like taking ten steps backward before we’d even started. So I pulled out one of my most tried-and-true dishes that is super easy and super healthy — perfect for this Superbowl Sunday.
Like lots of great soups and stews, this one is a great vehicle for a number of leftover veggies you might have in the fridge. The original recipe was actually created to use leftover Thanksgiving turkey — I just buy a cooked rotisserie chicken and shred it. You can also buy those pre-shredded carrots to save time.
I always at least double the recipe because it’s great for a crowd. Today, I finished it just before game time and left it on a low simmer for whoever stopped by.
Whatever is left freezes really well. Just thaw, pick up some fresh condiments and make a simple skillet cornbread for an easy meal.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 canned chipotle chile in adobo sauce
- ¾ cup finely chopped onion
- ¾ cup finely chopped celery
- ¾ cup finely chopped carrot
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 3 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup tomato puree
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can white hominy, drained
- 1 bunch radish julienned
- crushed tortilla chips
- sour cream
- cabbage shredded
- lime juice
- Heat oil in a large heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Finely chop chile. Add chile and next 5 ingredients (chile through chili powder), and sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Add remaining ingredients, and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook 45 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring occasionally.
- Serve topped with your choice of condiments (radishes, crushed tortilla chips, sour cream, cilantro, shredded cabbage, lime juice)