You’ve just been assigned “dessert” for a dinner party. Or, in a weak moment, you signed up to bring something sweet to your office pot-luck. If the thought fills you with dread, fear not!
Resist the urge to stop by Costco and get a pie-on-steroids, or those ubiquitous brownie bites. Instead, make this super easy, delicious Poppy Seed Cake.
And when people rave, wipe the faux sweat off your brow, let out a heavy sigh, and tell them it was truly a labor of love. They won’t ask for the recipe, and your secret will be safe.
You could add a glaze to this, though it doesn’t need it. I’ll often serve it with a side of fresh berries.
- 1 package white cake mix, extra moist
- 5 eggs
- 1 package instant pudding mix -- vanilla
- ½ cup cooking oil
- ½ cup pineapple juice
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Combine cake ingredients and beat for 5 minutes.
- Pour into in bundt pan which has been oiled and coated with a mixture of ½ c. sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes in pan, then turn out on a rack to cool completely.
I highly recommend the Nordic Ware Pro Form Anniversary Bundt Pan – I used it for the first time with this cake, and as you can see, it turned out perfectly!
This cake “travels” extremely well, and makes a wonderful “welcome to the (office, neighborhood, Bible study….) treat.”