The original recipe is from Donald Trump's private club in Palm Beach, and they are an Oprah favorite. I grate the apples rather than finely dicing them - it's much faster! Also, the recipe calls for sautéing the celery and apple before mixing with the other ingredients, but it's not necessary. I've found it's just an extra step - and creates one more pan to clean! Plus, you eliminate the 1/8 cup oil the original recipe called for, saving fat and calories.Make the patties early in the day (I made them this morning before we headed to the ranch) and refrigerate. I recommend popping them in the freezer for about 1/2 hour before grilling, which helps hold them together better.Top with sliced avocado if you like, and enjoy!A note about freezing: Because this recipe makes a dozen burgers, I want to freeze most of them when I'm cooking for just the two of us. I tried freezing the raw patties, and then grilling them later. Whether thawed first, or put on the grill straight from the freezer, they didn't hold together well. So now, I grill the whole batch when I make them. Freeze cooled burgers in a freezer bag, and when the mood strikes, pull out what's needed and microwave on high for 2 minutes. Delicious!Happy trails!P.S. Jealous of Ree Drummond, a.k.a. The Pioneer Woman that she lives like this every day!
Cowgirl Turkey Burgers
Author: adapted from Mar-a-Lago club's recipe
- ¼ cup thinly sliced scallions
- ½ cup finely chopped celery
- 3 Granny Smith apples , peeled and grated
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. black pepper
- 2 tsp. Tabasco® or other hot pepper sauce
- 1 lemon , juiced and grated zest
- ½ bunch parsley , finely chopped
- ¼ cup Major Grey's Chutney, pureed if chunky
- 4 pounds ground turkey breast
- Mix the scallions, celery and apples in a large bowl. Add remaining ingredients except turkey and thoroughly mix. Add turkey and gently mix until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Shape into 12 burgers. Refrigerate for 2 hours, or freeze for 30 minutes.
- Season the turkey burgers with salt and pepper. Place on a preheated, lightly oiled grill. Grill each side for about 8 minutes, until meat is thoroughly cooked. Let sit for 5 minutes.