Cover a large jar or pitcher with a piece of cheesecloth and secure with a rubber band. Pour almond milk over cheesecloth, and let sit for about 2 hours while liquid strains. Refrigerate for up to 3 days.It couldn't be easier - and healthier! Bottom line? I truly believed that God knew what he was doing when he created all the fantastic food options on the planet -- and we've done one heck of a job messing them up. (Interested in the topic? Read Michael Pollan's fabulous book, Omnivore's Dilemma.)Ready to try making your own? Let me know how it goes!
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 3 cups water
- 1 Tbs honey
- ½ tsp Kosher salt
- Cover almonds with water, and allow to sit overnight. Drain and rinse.
- Prepare glass jar or container by stretching cheesecloth over the top and securing with a rubber band.
- Place almond and 3 cups water in blender, along with honey, salt and any other flavoring ingredients. (Dates or figs, vanilla, etc.)
- Blend on high for about a minute.
- Slowly pour mixture over cheesecloth. Let drain for at least an hour. Refrigerate strained milk for up to 3 days.
- Note: The remaining solids can be used in smoothies or pancake batter, or dried for several hours in the oven and used as flour in cookies or other recipes.